Dear Chichester U3A member,
To see the last six or so bulletins, click here
Chairman’s Limerick Challenge
Friends of mine in Chairs across the County have raised a ‘Challenge for Limerick’ about our own U3A.
Be inspired, wake up your inner Tennyson (or Dylan Thomas, or Robbie Burns, or even Will himself) to create your limerick, and send it to firstname.lastname@example.org by October 5th. We will forward it to the newsletter editor for possible inclusion in the Autumn Newsletter, due for issue on the 28th October. And fame will be yours. Possibly.
One entry per member. Please give your name and membership number.
Simple five-line memorable verse (humorous but not rude) on the topic “Chichester U3A”, with rhyming scheme AABBA and a title: marks will be awarded (remember those words?) for rhythm and wit.
The best poetic entry will be submitted as our entry to the ‘Overall U3A Challenge’.
Andrew Walker: Chair
Important Information for the Ten Pin Bowling Group
We have been informed that Bowling will now start at 12 noon rather than the 11.00 AM start used before (thanks to the change in ownership of the Bowling Lanes at Chichester Gate and to new Companies public liability insurance requirements).
Additionally, the cost per game is now £3.00 i.e. £6.00 for 2 games each. The flashing lights will be OFF except during school holidays (including half term).
For more information, contact the group leader, Peter.
Current Affairs – Group Leader(s) Wanted
Could you lead a current affairs group? The recently formed group has a massive waiting list, so there is a ready-made group, if you would like to give it a try.
If you are interested, please get in touch with the groups team and we’ll help you get started.
Spanish Conversation (Advanced)
We have a vacancy in this group: it is suitable for anyone who has recently passed A-level Spanish or who has spent a length of time in a Spanish-speaking country and has a reasonable level of fluency. We meet in each other’s houses every week on Wednesday mornings. If you are interested, please contact Geraldine, the group leader
The Mah Jongg sessions will restart on the 4th of October, which is a Thursday.
Please note that the venue is on the 600 bus route (not as previously stated on the website).
Contact Nigel, the group leader, for further details.
Further information on all groups is shown on the Chichester U3A website. If you would like to find out more about a particular group, go from there to the webpage for that group, and use the contact form there to send a message to the group leader. If that fails, contact the groups team.
There will be a coffee morning next Wednesday, October 3rd.
As usual, it will be held at the Chichester Festival Theatre, this month in the Minerva Theatre Grill and Bar, from 10:00 to 12:00.
Go along for the latest news and gossip, an opportunity to buttonhole members of the committee, and for cakes and light refreshment.
We will be running a Skittles evening on
Monday 8th October, 6.45 pm to start 7.00pm
At the Barley Mow at Walderton, PO18 9ED
£12 per person to include a Buffet Supper.
Please contact the organiser if you wish to go.
Trips and Outings
CHANGED DATE!!! Thursday 17th October 2018 – Autumn Tints at Sheffield Park Gardens, and the Bluebell Line – places available
Due to unforeseen circumstances the above trip has had to be moved forward one day from 18th October to 17th October 2018. Please amend your diaries accordingly. Our coach will start from Chichester Bus Station ( the side opposite the railway station) at 09.00 on 17th October and aims to arrive at Sheffield Park Gardens at approximately 10.15 where you will be able to take a self-guided walk around the beautiful estate in full Autumn colour. You can then take coffee or lunch before taking the coach a short 5 minute drive to Sheffield Park station where reserved seating has been arranged on the famous Bluebell Railway with steam hauled engine and to travel to East Grinstead and return through the Autumn Countryside. We anticipate arriving back in Chichester by 17.30.
National Trust members please remember to bring your NT card with you.
Any questions about the trip – Sheffield Park NT Gardens is Sussex Park land and whilst having a paved walkway, is not on the flat – or other details about the day, please contact Andrew Walker, the chair, or Jean Buttery, the trips organiser.
Information on all currently active offerings can (nearly) always be found on the Travel and Outings page.
Sussex U3A Network
Details of the next two study days of the 2018/2019 season are available via the links below. Some details of later study days have been released here.
Details of the later study days will be given here in due course.
National U3A Study Days
The Christmas Carol Services can now be booked.
- Thursday, October 4th, 10:00 to 16:00 The Whitworth, Manchester. Unravelling the Whitworth. The Whitworth holds one of the largest global collections of textiles and wallpapers, dating from the 1st century AD to the present day. Cost: £27.50
- Tuesday, October 9th, 13:30 to 16:30. National Museum, Cardiff. Music, Art and History Including a performance by members of the Welsh National Opera. Cost: £15
- Monday, October 15th 13:45 to 16:45 : U3A at the RI, including talks on the Solar System, the microorganisms in the guts of twins, and on life, evolution and all things genetic. Cost £21.50
- Thursday, November 1st 11:00 to 15:45, National Gallery: Makers not Muses. Talks exploring the status of female artists. Cost £25, now booking.
- Monday, November 12th 10:30 to 16:30; Lyceum Theatre – From Page to Stage: Learn about play directing with three West End theatre directors and professional actors. Tickets £37.50.
- Wednesday, November 28th 11:00 to 16:00: Guildhall Gallery: Roman London. Cost £22.
- Thursday, November 29th – Roman London as previous .
- Monday, December 3rd – at 14:00: U3A Christmas Concert 2018 with the Brandenburg Singers and Organ. At the Queen’s Chapel of the Savoy, London. The concert will include traditional carols and refreshments of mulled wine and mince pies. Cost £19.50
- Monday, December 3rd – at 17:30: U3A Christmas Concert 2018 – as previous .
- Tuesday, December 18th – at 14:00: U3A Christmas Concert 2018 – as previous .
If you wish to unsubscribe from the Bulletin emails, please email email@example.com with subject “Unsubscribe from Bulletin”. This will not affect other email communications with the U3A. Please do NOT put the bulletin emails into spam! 🙁
Please send me a message via the usual channels if you wish to have some item of U3A news put in the Bulletin. Likewise if you have some constructive suggestions as to how to improve the Bulletin. Best wishes, David Rees 😎
Enquiries If you wish to write to us then the correspondence address is: U3A Chichester, Box 809, Mailboxes Etc., 26 The Hornet, CHICHESTER, PO19 7BB
If there is an urgent matter that needs to be discussed then call 07460 109600, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.