Dear Chichester U3A member,
To see the last six or so bulletins, click here
- A couple of members have reported problems with the formatting of the bulletin: if you have experienced any problems, please let us know.
- Please do NOT put a bulletin into spam. If you’ve finished with it, put it in the bin, by all means. If you wish not to receive any more bulletins, then send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org, with a subject of “unsubscribe from bulletins” or some such, and she will remove your name from the list of recipients.
- AN URGENT MESSAGE FROM YOUR COMMITTEE
Do You Value Chichester U3A?
For a variety of personal reasons a number of Chichester U3A’s committee members have recently resigned or are standing down at the forthcoming AGM (17th May). We urgently need a few new volunteers to bring the committee numbers up to a working level. To paraphrase the words of John F Kennedy, if you have ever wondered what you can do to help Chichester U3A, please consider putting your name forward for election to the committee. Please send your details to the Secretary, Cheryl Simonds, preferably by the 3rd May in advance of the AGM itself.
IN PARTICULAR, the officer posts of CHAIR, TREASURER and SECRETARY will become vacant on the 17th May.
If these posts are not filled, Chichester U3A will find it difficult to continue functioning, and the amenities you enjoy and take for granted will be seriously impacted.
The post of CHAIR primarily entails:
Leading the committee and Chichester U3A to enable it to fulfil its purpose.
Acting as a spokesperson and figurehead as appropriate.
The post of TREASURER primarily entails:
Overseeing the financial affairs of Chichester U3A to ensure they are legal, constitutional and within accepted accounting practice.
The position would suit someone with a Bookkeeping background and an eye for detail.
The post of SECRETARY primarily entails:
Ensuring that committee meetings of the trustees of Chichester U3A are properly administered.
The term of election for all posts is for one year and can continue for two further years.
For more information on what each post entails please contact the secretary by email
- Documents for the AGM
This year’s AGM will take place before the next monthly meeting, on May 17th, at 14:00.The documents – the Chair’s report, the accounts, the Treasurer’s report and so forth – are available here. You will require the password AGM-MAY-2018 to access them.
- Day Sailing Group
There are some places still remaining on the following dates: 29th June, 9th July, 23rd July and 7th August. Further information is available via the following contact.
- Day Sailing Group
The first session will be on Wednesday 16th May, at the Fishbourne Centre.
Places available on Tuesday afternoon boules.
- Table Tennis
Places still available on the Friday afternoon group (term time only).
- Recorder Ensemble
There is room for a couple more players in this group of 5 which meets weekly on Tuesday mornings 10.15-11.45 in Selsey. It isn’t for beginners but as long as you can read music and can play basic scales on the descant, treble or tenor recorders, you will be OK. We play a wide range of music from early to modern. You only need to bring a recorder and a music stand – I provide the music. The 51 bus (both directions) stops very close to my house in Selsey or there is on street parking. If you’ve played in the past, this is a good way of taking it up again. Playing a musical instrument is a proven way of keeping the whole brain active as well as a very enjoyable activity. If interested, please do contact leader here.
If you are interested in any of these groups, please contact the Groups Team
- Trips and Outings
Message from the Trips and Outings Organiser
Hooray! Thank you to Jean Buttery, who has volunteered to be involved in the running of our outings. Thank you very much Jean – I look forward to working with you.
Visit to the recycling plant on Wednesday 16th May: please meet at the Ford Reception ready for the visit, which starts at 10.00
CANINE PARTNERS Wednesday 30th May
We are all making our own way there, thanks to all those who have kindly offered lifts to others. You should be at the canine centre for 11.00 start; the address is:
Canine Partners, Mill Lane, Midhurst, West Sussex, GU29 0ED. Telephone 01730 716103,
Visit to Military Academy, Sandhurst, Tuesday 22 May: meet at the lay-by opposite the Fountain pub and the railway station. We will leave at 09:30, so please be there in time, to allow everyone to get on the bus and leave on time.
- May Quiz
There is one quiz in May, on May 15th from 18:45 to 21:00. The venue is, as usual, The White Swan, Bosham.
The closing date for booking and receipt of cheques will be May 9th. Please remember it takes a full day for letters to reach the Box.
Further details for the May 15th quiz.
- SUN – Study Days and other Events
The Sussex U3A Network (SUN) arranges study days and other events through the year, and any U3A member from the region can attend these . The events page also lists lots of U3A events elsewhere in the country. Book for the Study Days etc via the SUN representative or via the SUN website.
SUN Study Days
- 12th May 2018 Art in Britain in the Age of Enlightenment by Kay Blackburn in Pulborough. (This is a change to the original Study Day programme, and is the last study day this season: a new season will start in the Autumn.)
- 17th May 2018. 10:00 to 16:00. Inspiring Photography This is not a SUN study day, but one organised by the SE Region.Aims to improve your photographic skills, whether using a smartphone or a top-of-the-range SLR.. At Wallingford, led by Nigel Spencer and Alex Barrett. Fee £14, including tea/cofffee on arrival, and lunch. Further details (the additional link to the application form doesn’t seem to work)
Shared Learning Project
Starting in 2018 and culminating in 2019. Interested groups to undertake :-
Sussex Myths and Spirits
Sussex Martyrs, Witches, Smuggling, Bonfires, Seven Sisters, etc. etc. Contact Brenda Atlee, the SUN representative, for more information..
SE Forum U3A Summer School 2018
To be held at Chichester University June 18th-21st 2018
Some details of the courses, and how to book, can be found here
- National U3A Study Days
- May 17th, 10:30 -16:15. Backstage Secrets: hands on and different – a day of Workshops for U3A members led & created by Theatr Clwyd, Mold. Cost: £40.00 per person including refreshments on arrival. Sandwich lunch is provided.SALE OF TICKETS HAS ENDED.
- June 7th, 11:00 – 16:00.After the Impressionists: The Post Impressionists to Picasso. At the National Gallery, cost £25.per person (lunches & refreshments not provided). From the blazing visions and emotional intensity of Van Gogh to the quiet stillness of Hammershoi, discover the art that followed in the wake of Impressionism.
- According to SUN, a Jazz Study Day is planned for September 19th, at Cecil Sharp House in Camden. Details in due course.
For further details, and to book, click on the links above or on educational events at the U3A HQ website.
If you wish to unsubscribe from these Bulletins, please email email@example.com with subject “Unsubscribe from Bulletin”. This will not affect other email communications with the U3A.
Please send me a message via the usual channels if you wish to have some item of U3A news put in the Bulletin. Likewise if you have some constructive suggestions as to how to improve the Bulletin. Best wishes, David Rees
Enquiries If you wish to write to us then the correspondence address is: U3A Chichester, Box 809, Mailboxes Etc., 26 The Hornet, CHICHESTER, PO19 7BB
If there is an urgent matter that needs to be discussed then call 07460 109600, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.