Dear Chichester U3A Member
- This is enhanced somewhat as compared with last week’s, and is more-or-less as good as it is going to get with this medium. The next few weeks may see the Bulletin as a Word document, attached to the email. This would allow more features, a lot more work, and possible dispatch problems. The attachment does not have to be in Word format – others are available, such as PDF. And we could revert to something like the arrangement used for the last year, with an email linking to a Bulletin on the website. We would very much like to hear your views, (Incidentally, now would be a good time for someone new to take over as Bulletin editor, so if you see yourself in that role, please let us know!)
- We have had a few problems with email delivery: three addresses failed in the first week, and two in the second. Three of these were to members with btinternet addresses. This btinternet problem is not unique to us, nor to Beacon, but I am not aware of any surefire solution. One tentative suggestion I have met is for btinternet customers to try adding firstname.lastname@example.org to their bt email account address book. Any feedback would be welcome.
- Please do NOT put these messages into spam. If you’ve finished with it, put it in the bin, by all means. If you wish not to receive any more bulletins, then send an email to email@example.com, with a subject of “unsubscribe from bulletins” or some such,and she will remove your name from the list of recipients.
- Messages from the Committee
- Trips and Outings
We still have not found someone to help with Trips and Outings.
Due to family commitments, Helen has now moved out of the area, and we are looking for a member to help with the organisation of our Trips and Outings. We are looking for someone with good administrative abilities. If you are interested, please contact Maureen Wealleans, and more details can be given.
- Taking Care of your Personal Data
You can see the Webmaster’s introduction to our new system, Beacon, here.
Because of the dreadful weather, the lawns are not ready, so the first session will be on Wednesday 16th of May.
We play at the Croquet Courts at The Fishbourne Centre on the third Wednesday each month, between 10:00 a.m. and 12:00 a.m. There will be a weekly charge of £5.00 per person, and the club need a minimum of 10 people every month to be viable.
Please confirm by email (from here), text or telephone, if you plan to join us for the first session.
Thanks again for your interest and I look forward to seeing you at Fishbourne.
Boules is due to recommence on Tuesday 17th April, starting at 2.00pm. We normally play every Tuesday afternoon, depending on the weather. We use the equipment of the Boules club so there is no need to buy your own. If you would like to join us please let us know by contacting the groups team .
Vacancies for Scrabble. We meet on alternate Monday afternoon’s 2.00pm – 4.00pm. Next meeting on 23 April. If you would like to join us please let us know by emailing the groups team
- Playreading 1
There is a vacancy in Group 1, Playreading. We are reading plays by Irish writers. Meetings held in members’ houses on 4th Thursdays September to July.
- Board Games
Various Board Games played. We meet on the 3rd Tuesday afternoon each month in Chichester.
- Table Tennis
Please note that the Friday afternoon Table Tennis starts again on Friday 20th April at 1.30pm .
If you are interested in any of these groups, please contact the Groups Team
- Monthly Meeting
The next monthly meeting will be on Thursday, April 19th. The speaker will be Bernard Allen, and the title of his talk is The Travels of J.M.W. Turner – Turner visited many countries, and some of his paintings give us an insight into his experiences and the sheer discomfort of 19th century travel.
The meeting will be held in the Assembly Room, North Street. Refreshments will be available from 13:30 to 14:15, and the talk begins at 14:30.
- April Quizzes
There is one remaining quiz in April, on April 24th. Please do not book for this if you went to the first! The venue is, as usual, The White Swan, Bosham.
The closing date for booking and receipt of cheques will be April 18th. Please remember it takes a full day for letters to reach the Box.
Further details for the April 24th quiz
- SUN Study Days and other Events
The Sussex U3A Network (SUN) arranges study days and other events through the year, and any U3A member from the region can attend these . The events page also lists lots of U3A events elsewhere in the country. Book for the Study Days etc via the SUN representative or via the SUN website.
SUN Study Days
- 14th April 2018 CANCELLED Any cheques sent for this event will be returned.
- 12th May 2018 Art in Britain in the Age of Enlightenment by Kay Blackburn in Pulborough. (This is a change to the original Study Day programme, and is the last study day this season: a new season will start in the Autumn.)
Shared Learning Project
Starting in 2018 and culminating in 2019. Interested groups to undertake :-
Sussex Myths and Spirits
Sussex Martyrs, Witches, Smuggling, Bonfires, Seven Sisters, etc. etc. Contact Brenda Atlee, the SUN representative, for more information..
SE Forum U3A Summer School 2018
To be held at Chichester University June 18th-21st 2018
Some details of the courses, and how to book, can be found here
- National U3A Events
U3A Study Days
- April 18th -19th 9.45 – 16.45 each day, The Hidden Heart of Wales– a Look at Welsh Culture and Architecture. Based at the National Library of Wales, but also including other institutions in Aberystwyth. Cost: £40 per person includes 2-day programme, lunches and refreshments, excludes accommodation, other meals and transport to and from venue.
- May 17th 10:30 – !6:15, Backstage Secrets: hands on and different – a day of Workshops for U3A members led & created by Theatr Clwyd, Mold. Cost: £40.00 per person including refreshments on arrival. Sandwich lunch is provided.
For further details, and to book, click on the links above or on educational events at the U3A HQ website.
If you wish to unsubscribe from these Bulletins, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with subject “Unsubscribe from Bulletin”. This will not affect other email communications with the U3A.
Please send me a message via the usual channels if you wish to have some item of U3A news put in the Bulletin. Likewise if you have some constructive suggestions as to how to improve the Bulletin. Best wishes, David Rees
Enquiries If you wish to write to us then the correspondence address is: U3A Chichester, Box 809, Mailboxes Etc., 26 The Hornet, CHICHESTER, PO19 7BB
If there is an urgent matter that needs to be discussed then call 07460 109600, or email email@example.com.